So the 10 things I would tell my 16 year old son:
- Always be a gentleman (he is). Opening doors, letting ladies walk first, pulling out her chair for her to sit. Be this. Even if she is not ladylike, you be a gentleman.
- Go to church - we do now. But do it forever. You love your religion. You love our parish. Let God always be the guiding light in your decisions.
- Be a man of your word. If you say you will do something, do it. Be a man of honour.
- Respect your time and respect other people's time.
- Be impassioned in everything you do. When you do something don't skate along the surface ... immerse yourself in it.
- Be well read. Newspapers, books, internet ... however you do it .... build your general knowledge so that you are able to converse comfortably about a vast array of subjects. It will stand you in good stead in any conversation throughout your life.
- Always remember the biggest lesson I taught you .... there is always someone worse off than you in life, even in times that things go really badly .... always look behind you .... and help that person.
- Never judge other people. Never tell them what they should have, could have, or what you would have done in their situation. You cannot comment until you have walked in their shoes. Be respectful. You are brilliant at this with people.
- Be humble.
- Be You. You are a damn fine kid.
And what would I tell my daughter:
- You have always chased your dream to be a chef. Now you have finally slogged your way to that achievement. Never stop chasing your big dream .... you fly. You always do.
- Work wisely with your money now that you earn an income. Save.
- Be a woman of your word. Walk the Talk. Be honourable.
- Remember always #7 on your brother's list
- Remember always #8 on your brother's list
- Love. With all your heart. Your family, your friends, all your important people ... it is a beautiful gift to give those you care about.
- Be world wise .... be knowledgeable .... be able to talk on many subjects.
- Remember to find God in all you do. He is there all the time and even with your crazy work hours ... you know you just have to close your eyes ... He is there.
- Visit often.
- Be You. You are an awesome girl.