Wednesday 9 October 2013

Winds of Bias

Last week I took a stand on an issue.  It was a matter of principle to me.  A matter of standing up against a form of discrimination.  And now everyone is rushing to the words "racial issue".  For the record, it wasn't, but I would have stood up for that too. 

It gave me a lot of food for thought in the days since then, and a lot of soul searching within myself and even some sage advice from a good friend on the weekend.  He reminded me to "love the sinner, hate the sin".  Then on a Radio Veritas talk show this was further entrenched in my mind when the subject of "lepers in our society" was discussed.  It made me think of the discrimination again ..... and in my mind we form those very same "leper groups" in our churches, work places, schools and social circles when we make ourselves the judges of others based on criteria of what is "acceptable".

Now I accept and understand each person's right to their own feelings, but if you are going to discriminate against someone, at least have a reason why, and that reason does not give you the right to make judgements about that person .. and voice them, continuously, out loud.  Nor does it give you the right to slander other people who do not share your bias.  It is usually the biased person who gives the non-biased one the most flack.

So before you make judgements about other people's lifestyle choices, preferences, gender or any such, make sure that the way in which you conduct your own life, is beyond reproach.  


Generalizations about issues of discrimination are commonplace .... Glass houses everyone, glass houses ...


Till next time
c'est la vie

No comments:

Post a Comment

So how is your week going? Yes I wrote this blog a while ago.  I have tripped going up (yes up, not down the plethora of steps up to our hou...