Thursday 2 January 2014

Sparklers. Coleslaw in the boot and 48 hours without pissing someone off.

Well we are almost done with the second day of the New Year.  Just as in that silly quote, I have managed not to piss anyone off, break anything, lose my temper etc etc.  But after all we are still on Day 2.  My friend, Marie-Louise, will be checking up on my progress on a regular basis throughout 2014 - but she likes the crazy version of me.  I also have some pressure on me to behave appropriately. Sigh. 

We saw the New Year in with a semi-quiet evening which featured sparklers, Blackjack (yes the innocent home version with plastic chips and let me tell you when I am the dealer ..... pasop), Scattergories (this goes really silly when played at 3am) and then of course we had those straw like things filled with luminous liquid and when you crack that liquid you have glow in the dark straws.  Like a bunch of kids we pounced on the container and amused ourselves for almost an hour wearing these around our necks, heads, wrists while having the lights all turned off.  Nothing like a bit of uninhibited, silly-for-silly's-sake fun.  Then there was our sky lantern.  Let us just say that it did not go as well as expected.  And leave it there. We missed the countdown when the radio announcer said "In 2 minutes we start the countdown".  We stood on the patio, clutching our champagne and waited.  And waited.  And next minute aforementioned announcer said "And so we wish one another Happy 2014".  When I grew up countdowns went 10, 9, 8 .......  So that was a bit of a damp squid. 

At this point I would also like to mention that forgetting coleslaw in your boot after the party is also not a great thing.  Just putting it out there.  
And I would also like to mention that wearing a lot of clothes during the December holidays may seem fun.  For everyone.  Except the person who gets to wash and hang the items from 4 family members.  If one more person in this house says "why is the laundry so slow?", I will break all my resolutions in under 30 seconds.  

So before Monday I am going to watch the remaining 4 episodes of The Following .... am watching the whole of Series 1 at once.  The only time that I am not tense and peeping out behind my fingers is when I pause it to go to the bathroom.  I am also going to see a movie, hang a banner in the street to go along with the marching band I organised to welcome my domestic helper back.  Pop into the parish office.  Read my book and 54 magazines finished. Phone the DSTV technician.  Accost someone in the DSTV accounts department.  And rest. Because Monday is approaching and bringing with it all the usual stuff.  But me?  I gonna be seriously shoulder to the wheel when needed and eazy breezy the rest of the time.  Why?  Because it is gonna work for me. 

till whenever 
c'est la vie xxx










No comments:

Post a Comment

So how is your week going? Yes I wrote this blog a while ago.  I have tripped going up (yes up, not down the plethora of steps up to our hou...