Thursday 7 March 2013

why i do what i do


Today it has been a bit like the Gautrain station in my office.  I am not in office every day, trying to schedule all my out of office appointments on the same day, but when I do get here, one of the joys of working where I do, at a residential home for mentally disabled adult ladies as well as ladies and men who attend on a daily basis,  is that the residents and day workers greet me with something akin to a major celebrity arriving.  They are always so glad to see the staff and very often to them yesterday feels as long as a month ago. 

First a gaggle of ladies arrived in dribs and drabs in my office.  Each one wants a hug, each one wants me to tell them how much I missed them ... now when I arrive you will hear me shouting "hello all my aunties" as I pass them and I have varying terms of endearment from sweetheart to my love for each one of them.  One lady wanted to tell me about her sore finger, several wanted to remind me they love me.  A couple came to tell me that they are taking part in the Special Olympics athletics next week .... our ladies and day workers do shotput, 100m, relays and javelin ... pretty impressive hey?

The came the guys from the day workshop ..... and they just tug my heartstrings ... I told them that I had never had such a collection of gorgeous guys in my office .... and no matter their level of disability they just love it when I tell them that.  One asked me If I would come to his birthday party, another told me that he loves me so much and is glad I am here today, another said "jy lyk altyd mooi".  

An hour ago they had their line dancing therapy which they love and I can clearly hear the music from my outside office.  I stuck my head in there and they shrieked for me to join in.  Well I ditched my heels at the door and spent the next ten minutes line dancing with them .... their joy is infectious and never ceases to make me extraordinarily happy. 

I learn so much from them, although you would assume that they learn only from us.  They teach me that every day is a new day.  That you can love without prejudice or limits.  That it's the little things in life that count.  That you can find joy in the simplest things.  That sharing is truly caring.  That any new skill learnt is a joy to behold. 

To all my "aunties" and our adorable guys ...... you make working for a NPO a joy, you make every day that I speak to donors about the Homes a passion for me and you make every day at the office one in which I thank God for leading me here ...... where I belong. 



Till next time,
c'est la vie xxxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So how is your week going? Yes I wrote this blog a while ago.  I have tripped going up (yes up, not down the plethora of steps up to our hou...