Friday 2 August 2013

Authenticity ..... and my desire for relevance

 “Authenticity is a collection of choices we have to make every day. It’s about the choice to show up and be real. The choice to be honest. The choice to let our true selves be seen.”

"Just be authentic", my hubby tells me, "because the Karin that you are (and he never calls me Karin), is exactly the Karin that people love".  "You always show up and be real".

That seems logical.  Not entirely sure how practical it is.  Imagine how wonderful that is or could be.... to just show up where you have to be every day and be real.  Be you.  And have people love it. 
How many versions of your "authentic self" do you have?  Is our "real self" ever good enough?  Or do we have to conform to everyone's pre-defined "box" for us.  

There are so many labels ..... too loud, too withdrawn, too outspoken, too shy, too involved, too enthusiastic, too kind .....too kind (what the hell is too kind?) that I think for any person it would be hard to be true to themselves and remain authentic. 

Imagine how nice it would be if we could simply be who we are ......and not have to feel we have to justify it ...  

Being authentic is something my husband has always encouraged in me ..... because he sincerely believes that in me "what you see is what you get" ..... the Karin at work, is the Karin at home, is the Karin in church is the friend you get.  I don't do things in half measures. Somehow I cannot help wondering ..... can you be too authentic?  Is that possible?

So tonight I go to bed pondering authenticity.  And the answers that a very wise woman gave me yesterday.  My day has ended a bit windy, as my other friend would say.  I just love that term. 


Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most
deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says,
'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it.

c'est la vie.  from the real me. 
xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment

So how is your week going? Yes I wrote this blog a while ago.  I have tripped going up (yes up, not down the plethora of steps up to our hou...