Thursday 10 January 2013

it's a chick thing

So now here is the thing.  Men (generally) don't want to do the mall thing.  Now please this is not ALL men but in my list it does include my hubby, my best friend's hubby, my friend the book supplier, my friend the school teacher, literally all the soccer dad's I know and ... well pretty much every guy I know. I think my dad and bro-in-law are excluded.  Kudos to you. 

My friend Mike and my hubby agree.  The function of a mall is to provide goods needed for purchasing.  You decide AT HOME what it is exactly that you want.  You drive there.  You go in, make a purchase, walk out and drive away.  No added impulse buys.  No added window shopping, browsing, uhming and ahing.  Always qualify for free under 15 min parking.  I do however wonder what would happen if there was free beer in the passages of the mall :)

Now for chicks it's a whole other thing.  Malls = shopping, browsing, wandering, looking and definately coffee!!

We are not really perturbed about the free parking.  We do, like guys, have a list.  Please note that this list is merely a guideline, not a definitive rule like for guys.  When guys say black shoes it is just that.  When we say black shoes it can mean buy them, look at them, decide between pumps, heels, slingbacks, court shoes ..... it's endless. It could also extend to several other pairs of shoes, which could then lead to clothing, handbags, lingerie and other perusal. 

This obviously will lead to us needing to stop for a refreshment .... malls and cappuccinos are one and the same in my mind. 

Trust me if we have 10 items on our list, we do have good intentions for those 10, but if you are in the mall, why not quickly look at those new rice cake snacks for kids, the new goodies in the craft shop, a pretty dress in a window etc etc etc. 

My hubby always asks when we have to go to a mall ..... do we have a purpose or are we just going "freestyle".... "please can we get in and get out asap".  Should we decide to divert from the "purpose" you will recognize him.  At the entrance to the shop.  Sighing.  Glancing at me.  Not will tenderness. 

My son accompanied Jess and I to the mall recently to buy some holiday clothes.  Standing in Jay Jays he acted out a scene mimicking Jess in a clothes store that had me crying with laughter.  What he has established is:

a)  He is not having daughters
b)  Should he have daughters he is not going clothes shopping ... they have a mom for that 
c)  Should his opinion be needed he will, he says, set up Skype and instruct his daughter to take an IPad with .....then he can communicate from home via screen 

However these rules do not seem to apply to the males in my house when it comes to Sports shops.  There freestyle is the order of the day. 

You see, dear, it is not true that woman was made from man's rib; she was really made from his funny bone.  ~J.M. Barrie, What Every Woman Knows  

Till next time ..... c'est la vie ..... shop your hearts out girls 
xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment

So how is your week going? Yes I wrote this blog a while ago.  I have tripped going up (yes up, not down the plethora of steps up to our hou...